How to Shave Your Armpits Hair For Guys, The Steps You Should Know
Shaving the armpits is quite challenging because there are lots of sweats and germs. And as your underarms are not exposed much to the daylight, they can also be quite oily.
But learning the proper way to shave your armpits will reduce the chances of skin irritation and razor burn, no doubt.
To help you know about how to perfectly shave your armpits with easy steps, I have prepared this guide only for you, believe me.
Here you will learn some simple steps that will lead you to prevent cuts and shave your armpits smoothly. So, let’s get started.
How To Shave Your Armpits Without Getting Red Bumps
1. Thoroughly Clean Your Underarms
The first and foremost thing you have to do for shaving armpits is to clean your underarm thoroughly. When there is hair in the underarm for quite a while, sweat will not dry easily.
Also, there will be a lot of germs because of the hair and sweat. If you don’t wash or clean underarms properly before shaving, it can hurt and burn because of the sweat.
Aside from that, if you attempt to shave a dirty underarm, infections may occur as well. So, you should not take the risk and clean the underarms firmly. Use warm water to clean so that you can wash the germs away easily.
2. Use a Best Razor For Underarms
The razor is the major component for shaving the armpits. So, it’s important that you should have a new razor which is of high quality. By high quality I mean the razor should be sharp enough.
A dull razor is very risky to use. First of all, a dull razor cannot thoroughly cut the hair. And a dull razor often contains rusts on it, which is far more risky to use on the skin.
In order to avoid razor burn and bumps, you should always use a sharp blade on the razor. It is better if you use new blades when you shave the armpits.
3. Hydrate Your Skin before You Shave
While shaving the armpit, if your skin is dry, then the hair will be very rough. It is always difficult to cut rough hair. But you can solve this problem by simply hydrating your skin.
Use cold of hot water on the skin of the underarms to keep the skin hydrated. But I recommend you to use hot water as it will kill off the germs as well.
Hydrating the skin not only reduces the roughness of the hair but also makes the skin smooth. So it becomes easier for you to cut the hair. Also, there is no risk of any cuts that you have in a dry shave.
4. Wash Your Underarms
To avoid skin irritation while shaving, you must wash your underarms. By washing the underarms, you are technically cleaning away the sweats and the germs.
Also, if you wash the underarms, then the roots of the hair will become really soft. When the roots become softer, it becomes easier for you to cut the hair without burning the skin.
5. Use Shaving Gels or Foams
Shaving gels are made with medically certified ingredients that are useful for the skin. They make the root of the hair softer and you can smoothly cut the hair. Many people don’t use shaving gels or foams.
But it is really harmful to the skin if you don’t use shaving foams or gels while shaving. If you shave regularly without using shaving gels or foams you will notice the skin of the shaving area is getting darker day by day.
To avoid this from happening, shaving gels are extremely useful. Shaving gels also help you to avoid cuts on the skin. Because the razor glides over your skin easily when you use shaving gels.
6. Shave Your Armpits in All Directions.
It is highly recommended that you shave the armpits in all directions to get a smooth output after shaving. If you cut the skin in only one direction, let’s say downwards, then you will see when you hover your finger to the opposite direction the skin will feel rough.
Cutting in one direction not only makes the skin rough but also keeps the shaving unfinished. But if you shave in all directions, you will see how smooth the armpit skin feels after shaving. But be careful while shaving in different directions as the skin may get cut or nicked while shaving.
7. Be Sure to Moisturize.
After you are done with shaving, you have to moisturize the shaved area carefully. When you shave, not only the hair cut off from the root but also the moisture dries out.
So after shaving, you can use aftershaves to moisturize. Using aftershaves will also clean the rest of the germs and keep the shaved area secured from infections.
Moisturizing will also reduce the burns that you get after shaving. So, it is very important that you use aftershaves to moisturize your underarms after shaving.
8. Wait Before Applying Deodorant
Freshly shaven skin is very sensitive. When you just finish the shaving you will see the area is burning a little. It’s natural, don’t worry. But don’t use deodorant immediately after you shave the armpits.
You should use aftershave there but deodorants are really harmful. They can increase the rate of burning as well as you may get rashes for the deodorant. So, wait for a while before applying deodorant so that your skin is not harmed.
Benefits of shaving armpits
Spring is almost here. And after that, Summer. So it’s time to get out your shorts and tank tops again from the closet and indulge yourself in the Sunny Summer days. But your happy sunbathing time can become embarrassing if you still haven’t given a proper look under your armpits. So you should shave it before you hit the beach with your bikinis or shorts on. But before that just have a look at the benefits of shaving armpits.
No Hair, Less Sweat
Getting rid of sweat is the best part of shaving underarm hair. The hair under the armpit moist the skin faster than any part of the body. So, it creates a lot of sweats. If you keep your underarm hair-free, then that specific part of the skin will become rough and won’t create sweat as much as with hair.
No sweat, No Odor
In the summertime, the hot and humid weather can overheat your body. If your body does have a lot of hair then this overheating problem can cause Body-odor. You can reduce the chance to encounter body odor by shaving your armpits. Having hair-free armpits helps your body to cool faster. So that your skin doesn’t get the chance to create either sweat or body odor.
Getting rid of sweat stain
Underarm sweating is the reason behind those Yellow Stains of your sleeves. Sweats that come from the underarm hair stay with you through those marks. So shave your underarm regularly to keep these stains away from your clothes. By this, you won’t have to spend much time cleaning the sleeves. Just clean armpits. It will do the Double-task.
Should men & women shave their armpits
Shaving armpits depends on your personal preferences. There are no specific Do’s and Don’ts. But if you like to make yourself smooth, light and sweat-free this summer, then shaving armpit is a must. Man and women both can shave their armpits. Why they should shave? Reasons are given below-
- It keeps the sweat and sweat related bacteria away.
- It makes the skin of underarm smooth.
- Shaved armpits don’t require too much deodorants or anti-aspirants.
Itchy armpits after shaving?
Armpit shaving can sometimes irritate your skin. If you feel itchy after shaving, do not panic. It can happen because of bad shaving. If you shave the armpits incorrectly, use a dull razor or shaving products that contain artificial scents and harsh chemicals for shaving, then it can create the itchy sensation.
To avoid itchy armpits:
- try to use a hygienic shaving kit.
- try to avoid shaving products that contain alcohol, artificial perfume or other chemical ingredients.
- Improve shaving skills. Underarm hair grows in different directions. So, it is tricky to shave the armpits, rather than other parts of the body. Try to shave armpits upward, downward, and side-to-side. This will help you achieve the smoothest shave, without itchy sensation.
- Try to follow a specific shaving pattern and learn the skill of skin taut properly.
Shaving armpits pros and cons
There are various Pros of shaving armpits, such as-
- You can be hair-free and show-off your smooth skin while wearing sleeveless dresses.
- Shaving armpits results less sweating. That means no sweat, no sweat rings on your shirt sleeves either.
- Shaving can make the armpit skin visible. So, if you have any skin complication under your armpits that was hiding beneath the hair till now, it can get visible after shaving and you can fix the problem.
- Compared to other Hair removing techniques (e.g. waxing, epilating), shaving is quite hassle-free. In Shaving, you don’t need too many tools or products. If you have a sharp razor and a good lubricant (e.g. shaving cream or foam), that is enough to have a hair-free armpit.
Besides the pros, there are few side-effects of shaving too. Have a look at it before you set your mind for shaving.
- Hair holds the moisture of your skin. Shaving regularly can make the skin rough and dry.
- If you don’t follow a hygienic way of shaving then it can cause infection and skin problems. Bad shaving can stimulate itching, rash and red bums under the armpit.
- Shaving causes ingrown hair. It occurs when the hair grows inside the skin and increases the urge to scratch the affected part. Once you start scratching that part it may cause redness, scarring, and bleeding.
I would like to come to a conclusion by giving you a few final tips on how to get a clean shave on your armpits for the first time. First of all, always use new blades or sharp razors to cut the hair. Avoid using rusted blades and dull razors.
Next, you can use both cold and warm water to clean the armpits before you start shaving. But I recommend hot or warm water as it kills off a lot of germs.
Finally, always keep the armpits clean from sweats. After shaving the armpits wash with cold water and use aftershaves to make the skin germ-free. I hope this article was helpful to you.